Select your destination from the alphabetical sorted list bellow:
Monemvasia Hotel, Studios and Apartments
"Add your hotel here"
Rent A Car
Greece Taxi Bookings
A few words about Monemvasia:
Monemvasia (ΜΟΝΕΜΒΑΣΙΑ in Greek), is a medieval
fortress with an adjacent town, located on a small peninsula off the east
coast of the Peloponnese in the Greek prefecture of Laconia. Remains include
the defensive structures, the small adjacent town and Byzantine churches. Its
name derives from two Greek words, monem and emvasia, meaning "single
entrance". Many of the streets are narrow and are only fit for pedestrians.
The bay of Palaia Monemvasia is found in the north. Monemvasia's nickname is
the Gibraltar of the East.
The rock is 300 m tall and 1.8 km long. The village is situated on the
southeastern side of the rock, which overlooks the Palaia Monemvasia bay. A
small hamlet with about 10 houses lies to the northwest. A field of grass
covers the northwest and top, accessed by a rocky, zig-zagging pathway. The
fortress lies on the north side of the colorful rock, which ranges from grey
to peach melon and pink.
Year Communal population Change Municipal population
1971 32 - -
1981 631 599/18.72% -
1991 78 -553/-87.64% 3,950
From 1981 to 1991, the village had a huge decline in population, one of the
places that lost population in Laconia.
The founding of the town and fortress of Monemvasia most probably occurred in
the 6th Century CE. The town was founded in 583 by people seeking refuge from
the Slavic and the Avaric invasion of Greece. From the 10th Century CE, the
town developed into an important trade and maritime center. The fortress
withstood the Arab and Norman invasions and conquests in 1147. Cornfields that
fed up to 30 men were grown inside the fortress.
It was a Byzantine town that existed continuously under the domain of the
Empire until the 15th Century, when the Empire fell. It was successively
governed by Venetians and Ottomans in intervals:
Venetian: (1460 - 1540)
Ottoman: (1540 - 1690)
Venetian: (1690 - 1715)
Ottoman: (1715 - 1821)
The commercial importance of the town continued until the Orlov Revolt (1770)
in the Russo-Turkish War, which saw its importance decline severely.
The town was liberated from Ottoman rule on August 1, 1821, during the Greek
War of Independence.
The citadel has been uninhabited since 1920.
In 1971, Monemvasia became linked with the rest of the outside world through a
bridge on the western side that connects to GR-86.
In more recent history, the town has seen a resurgence in importance with
increasing numbers of tourists visiting the site and the region. The medieval
buildings have been restored, many of them converted to hotels.
Places of interest
The Church of Hagia Sophia
Christos Elkomenos Square
Become a Partner
Greek Hotel Bookings - All rights reserved