Select your destination from the alphabetical sorted list bellow:
Nafpaktos Hotel, Studios and Apartments
"Add your hotel here"
Rent A Car
Greece Taxi Bookings
A few words about Nafpaktos:
Nafpaktos (ΝΑΥΠΑΚΤΟΣ in Greek), is a
town in the prefecture of Aetolia-Acarnania, Greece, situated on a bay on the
north side of the straits of Lepanto. The harbour, once the best on the
northern coast of the Corinthian Gulf, is now almost entirely choked up, and
is accessible only to the smallest craft. Nafpaktos is the capital of the
province of Nafpaktia. The origin of Nafpaktos comes from the two Greek words:
ναύς naus ship, boat and πήγνυμι pegnumi, pegnymi builder, fixer. Distance
from Patras is about 15 km NE and about 215 km NW of Athens with the new
bridge, the Rio-Antirio bridge which now has access to the Peloponnese in the
south with tolls. Other distances are WSW of Amfissa, W of Itea and Delphi, NE
of Antirio and GR-5/E55, E of Messolonghi and SE of Agrinio. The Mornos river
is a few kilometres ENE where it also is the prefectural boundary with Phokida.
Naupactus is an episcopal see. In Greek legend it appears as the place where
the Heraclidae built a fleet to invade the Peloponnesus.
In historical times it belonged to the Ozolian Locrians; but about 455 BC, in
spite of a partial resettlement with Locrians of Opus, it fell to the
Athenians, who peopled it with Messenian refugees and made it their chief
naval station in western Greece during the Peloponnesian war. In 404 it was
restored to the Locrians, who subsequently lost it to the Achaeans, but
recovered it through Epaminondas.
Philip II of Macedon gave Naupactus to the Aetolians, who held it till 191 BC,
when after an obstinate siege it was surrendered to the Romans. It was still
flourishing about 170 AD, but in Justinian I's reign was destroyed by an
earthquake. It was again destroyed by earthquakes in 553 and in the 8th
century and so on. In the middle ages it fell into the hands of the Venetians,
who fortified it so strongly that in 1477 it successfully resisted a four
month's siege by a Turkish army thirty thousand strong; in 1499, however, it
was taken by Beyazid II. The mouth of the Gulf of Lepanto was the scene of the
great sea fight in which the naval power of the Ottoman Empire was nearly
completely destroyed by the united papal, Spanish, Habsburg and Venetian
forces (Battle of Lepanto, October 7, 1571). In 1678 it was recaptured by the
Venetians, but was again restored in 1699, by the treaty of Karlowitz to the
Ottomans; in the war of independence it finally became Greek once more (March
The town square of NaupactusThe town has schools, lyceums, gymnasiums,
churches, banks, a post office, a beach, and a square (plateia) located next
to the Gulf of Corinth. Residential houses are lined up with the highway.
Today it has about 10,000 people. Residential homes align with the Gulf of
Corinth and has a width of about 3 km. It sits on a shoulder of a mountain
range of the north while farmlands dominate the western part. The climate is
one of the best in Greece. It used to be passed by GR-48/E65 linking Antirrio
and Amfissa now it is bypassed to the north at the elevation of 150 to 200 m
above sea level. The area isn't forested out of town. The villages are founded
around Nafpaktos in the northeast.
The municipality is mainly made up of mountains while much of the fertile land
is within the Gulf of Corinth.
In 1990, construction of a bypass of Nafpaktos began but when it was finally
paved, the opening was delayed for eight years until demonstrations in 1998
about favoring the opening of the by-pass of GR-48/E65 and was finally opened
in the early 2000s.
Become a Partner
Greek Hotel Bookings - All rights reserved